Friday, November 29, 2013

The One When We Went Italiano!


I love getting crafty in the kitchen...and so does my waist. :)  I love Italian food and Hon-some and I manage to have pasta night at least once a week (yes, and another night as brinner night!).  Several weeks ago, I was feeling more Italian than usual (hehehe!) and I whipped up this meal...



Sausage and Peppers Sandwich and Minestrone

It's easy peasy!

Sausage and Peppers Sandwich:

1.  Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
2.  Add the sliced Italian sausages.
3.  Add the sliced bell pepper.
4.  Season with salt and pepper.
5.  Slice a ciabatta bread into two halves.  I just used regular hotdog buns, though.  Butter and toast the bread halves.
6.  Spread mustard on the bread and pile on the sausage and peppers!

Minestrone:

1.  Saute onions and garlic in butter.  Add diced carrots, diced potatoes, and sliced celery.  Allow vegetables to sweat for 10 minutes.
2.  Add a can (or two) of crushed tomatoes.  If you want a chunky soup, you can use whole tomatoes.
3.  Add fresh basil and parsley.
4.  Pour in chicken stock.  Season with salt and pepper.
5.  Bring to a boil then simmer until vegetables are soft and tender.
6.  In some recipes, the shell pasta must be cooked in a separate pot and then added to the soup.  I have found that it's okay to add uncooked shell pasta straight to the soup once it is boiling.  The pasta cooks as the vegetables soften.  You know what, any kind of pasta can be used like macaroni.  I even add leftover spaghetti that I cut into small strips.
7.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve while it's hot.

Buon appetito!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment