Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Ones Among My Children's Book Idols



This is why I missed last night's company Christmas party...


Award-winning children's book illustrator Hubert Fucio (Si Pagong at si Matsing, Hinlalaki) and multi-awarded children's book author and TV writer Augie Rivera (Alamat ng Ampalaya, Magnificent Benito and His Two Front Teeth, Xilef, Batibot, Art Angel) came by in my MA class to talk about their work and the children's book industry.
I brought my own copies of their books to have them signed.





The first Augie Rivera book I ever read was Xilef and I was blown away by how dyslexia was shown in a children's book.  The most recent books I read that were authored by him were Alamat ng Ampalaya and Lihim ni Lea, an incredibly brave account of incest.  I particularly enjoyed listening to his stories on working in children's TV shows like the original Batibot under the Rene Villanueva.





 Hubert Fucio brought the original illustrations of Si Pagong at Si Matsing and I was struck by his attention to detail.





Weee!  Sooo happy! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment