Thursday, March 21, 2013

The One About Hong Kong (March 2013)

It's no secret that Hon-some and I have a love affair with Hong Kong.  We're always on the lookout for cheap airfare so we can jet off to this vibrant place!  A lot of times, we attempt to change the destination but Hong Kong still wins in the end.  Sometimes, I tell Hon-some, "Let's go to Singapore this time.  The airfare's cheap, o!"  To which he'd reply, "But it's hot there!  And you just want to go there to buy craft materials!"  Oops!  Guilty as charged!  But when I tell him, "There's a promo on HK airfare," he'd go "Lessssgggooooo!"

We visited HK again just last weekend.  It was the perfect timing since I considered it to be a gift to myself after a year of running a preschool department all by my lonesome.  Yep, you read that right.  For one year, I taught all three levels of preschool: nursery, pre-kindergarten, and kindergarten.  How I managed to do that, only God knows. :)

Hong Kong was just about to welcome spring so we were able to take advantage of the last few days of the winter cold spell.  We loved the weather so much that we decided to not use our jackets and, instead, enjoyed the cool breeze.

If you have followed our HK adventures before (here, here, and here), you would have noticed that we always go and visit at least one park in HK.  You see, Hon-some and I love open spaces.  Manila just doesn't have enough of those so when we visit HK, we make it a point to visit at least one.  This time, we went to Lai Chi Kok Park.





  



The place was lovely.  We were ooh-ing and aah-ing every time we discovered a lovely little bridge, a small sculpture, little "casitas" for studying or reading, and playgrounds.  The park has small spots that are perfect for thinking, reading, studying, and reflecting.  It's a perfect place for me!


Obviously, Hon-some liked this part of the park. :)


It's pet-friendly too!


I literally can live in that park! :)  We spent the next few days exploring the city, not necessarily to shop (we did buy one or two items for ourselves) but mainly to eat! 


 I had been dreaming of a warm bowl of congee days before our flight!  I finished this large steaming bowl all by myself!  Hahaha!


McDonald's is always a staple.  Just like HK parks are. :)  In the afternoons, their double patty burgers with cheese are HK$8 (around P45!) only! Also their McChicken sandwiches!


 Chicken Katsu Curry!!!


 Barbecued pork and roast duck!  Allow me to add that I just ate a bowl of oatmeal this morning to lower my cholesterol level from the duck!


 More barbecued pork!


 Pan-fried pork dumpling with soup


More congee and stir-fried noodles!


We must have weighed just as heavily as our luggage on our flight back home!  Hahaha!  Oh well...  As I write this blog post, Hon-some and I are already dreaming of our next visit to HK.  We're actually pondering on trying an overnight trip since all we ever do in HK is eat, eat, visit a park, eat, eat, and eat.  Still, I can't help but ask, "Can I visit the craft supplies stores in Mongkok next time?"  

I'm sorry!  It's the craft hoarder in me!

:)

3 comments:

  1. I love HKG too just like your HON-some! So I understand fully why he chooses HKG over Singapore (it's hot, humid & suddenly rains so hard)!!!

    By the way, your HON-some knows me, I am the mom of his college friend & classmate.

    Enjoyed all your blogs about HKG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tita Gina!

      Thanks for reading my blog! I guess HK will always take the cake. It pulls our heartstrings just too hard!

      Rae

      Delete
    2. Hi Rae,

      Yes, i know... hope to bump into you & Hon-some in Hongkong!!!

      Tita Gina

      Delete