Friday, May 24, 2013

The One About the Baked Eggs

I noticed I haven't been posting about my kitchen adventures for some time now...and I'm never NOT adventurous in the kitchen. :)  So here's one today...



I first read about Baked Eggs in Samantha Sotto's book, Before Ever After.  I have been meaning to try it but I sort of forgot all about it until I read about it in some blog.  Anyway, this dish received a two thumbs up from Hon-some and it's super easy to make.  Takes about half an hour to make. :)





Here's what you'll need:

3 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion
Italian/breakfast sausages
A can of whole tomatoes
Paprika
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Brown Sugar
Parsley/Basil
Eggs

(I don't measure when I cook so I hope you're comfortable eyeballing the amount of the ingredients.)

Here's what you'll need to do:

1.  Slice/crumble the sausages and fry them up.  Set aside.
2.  In the same pan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil.
3.  Add the whole tomatoes and the sausages.  Sprinkle paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper.  Add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
4.  Simmer until the mixture reduces slightly.
5.  When cooked, transfer the mixture to small bowls or ramekins.
6.  Break an egg on each bowl, topping the tomato mixture.
7.  Add a dash of parsley or basil (fresh or dried).
8.  Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until eggs set.





Hon-some and I enjoyed this with some toast and it makes for a perfect light dinner or "brinner" (breakfast for dinner) which we like to have at least once a week.  We looooovvvveee breakfast food!

Try it.  I know you'll love it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment