Thursday, October 17, 2013

The One About Anthill Fabric Gallery


Our trip to Cebu was of the business-y nature but I managed to go on a quick craft sojourn while we were in the city.  I had long bookmarked Anthill Fabric Gallery as a must-see should I visit Cebu again and I was able to finally see the place last weekend.

Anthill Fabric Gallery is a creative social enterprise that supports and celebrates Filipino craftsmanship.  They carry a bevy of handwoven fabrics from Abra, Vigan, and Benguet.  I have a thing for social enterprises right now and, being there, I felt compelled to buy something.  It's also because all their fabrics are to die for!!!









The fabrics and other locally sourced materials are made into clothes, placemats, bags, clutches, wallets, organizers, and even shoes!


 Seeing this portion of the creative souk made me think about when the last time was when I slept on a banig.


 A sewing community in Cebu, meanwhile, makes these rag dolls.

There were so much to see.  Everyone involved in the Gallery really have their creative juices flowing.  It was evident in every piece that was sold in the store.  In the end, this came home with me...


It's really a bills organizer but I figured it'd work great as a clutch.


It's perfect for all my essentials:  my moolah, my phone (with visible fingerprints!  Haha!), my idea notebook, a pen or two, IDs, and cards.  And a tube of lipstick.


While I cannot really say that the handmade movement is robust in Cebu compared to Manila, Anthill Fabric Gallery very well declares that at the very least, it is alive in Cebu.  Here's to more creative enterprises in Cebu! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment