Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Weekend Tidbits: Cebu


Last weekend, Hon-some and I flew to the Queen City of the South.  As most of you know, I have a love affair with Cebu.  I still remember my first visit to that place.  I was 24 years old in a quarter-life crisis.  I wanted to get away and, not knowing what I was doing, agreed to a friend's offer to book me a flight to Cebu on a solo trip.  I didn't know a thing about Cebu; didn't know anyone there at the beginning.  But I knew it was the perfect place to think, think, and reassess my life.

I fell in love with Cebu in an instant.  I wanted to come back but not just for a visit.  I got my parents' blessing to try and strike it out on my own and live there.  By God's grace, I landed a job there and the rest just fell into place.

Although I only stayed there for two years, it was the best two years of my single life.  I became independent, resourceful, and responsible.  I learned to eat healthy and to budget my money.  To this day, I know some of my colleagues there wondered why I never "gimmicked."  I read my books, cooked my own food, wrote my thesis, and attended to creative projects.  They probably felt sorry for my social life.  But I knew my wallet was fatter than theirs.  Hahaha!

I also learned how to take care of myself.  The one incident when I got really sick there was super horrible that I vowed never to get sick again as much as I can help it.  That's when I became more aware of what I ate and did (I loved my evening jogs in Paradise Village).

When Hon-some and I stepped out of the airport last Saturday, it felt great to be back.  Really great. :)  Suddenly, I was reacquainted with the laidback charm that I have come to love about Cebu.  The environment is much better than Manila, the people are friendlier, and cab drivers give the change back!  While a lot has changed since I had left, it still felt like home.  Or maybe like an old friend I have reunited with after long years of losing touch.

We were in Cebu for what could be considered R&D and not necessarily R&R.  We were on our toes most of time, exploring the city and reveling in the ideas that kept on flowing.  Our trip, albeit quick, was fun and productive...and gluttonous!  I'm still on a juice cleanse today because of all the eating we did there!  Just one of the things I love about Cebu.  In fact, I will always love Cebu.  In time and with God's grace, I hope Cebu will be ready to love me back again. :)


P.S.
By some stroke of luck, the short weekend got extended!  Here are some of what we did:

1.  Went for a morning walk in UP and reminisced about my student days...


(I took the photo.)

2.  Sewed up Mr. Gingerbread Man.  That rickrack fits him eh? :)




3.  Hon-some's niece and nephew slept over so we took them for lunch at Gino's Brick Oven Pizza and Cello's Doughnuts.  Happy eaters!


My plate...and a super swiped one in the background. :)

The weekend that was.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment